[GRASS5] Re: GRASS-MacOS upload

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Sat Nov 18 05:47:39 EST 2000

Hi Jeshua,

thanks for the upload (it was a big job for your modem). I will
put into web space later today.

Do the other developers know a way to reduce the binaries
size of MacOS GRASS binaries? Because...
On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 03:43:27PM -0800, Jeshua Lacock wrote:

> > > My gnuzip file is 101.8 MB - is that bigger than you would expect?
> > Oh my dear! YES!
> >
> > Linux: 32 MB
> > SUN: 36MB
> > SGI: 52 MB
>
> The uploading is complete.
>
> Please let me know how the dist looks. Have I included something extra?
>
> > Well, never mind. But it will blast some mirror sites as the GRASS Server
> > already contains > 600MB. I will have to think where to store it. It must
> > be somewhere outside the common mirror-area.

.. it is twice to three times bigger than usually.

> I have been thinking of starting a GIS open-source webserver that would
> have source binaries for free downloading or available on CD for a small
> fee.
> What do you think?
Sounds good. Please have a look at "Links and Screenshots", several servers
are already there - *maybe* you decide to join an existing project.
Just to notify you that some development is ongoing.

Thanks again for building the beta8 Mac binaries!

 Markus