[GRASS5] Bug tracking system ?

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Sun Nov 12 11:31:37 EST 2000

Hi Bernhard, Hi Markus,

i looked at the bugzilla bug tracker recently and i think that a fully
fledged bug-tracking system for grass is too much work.

Such a system would require:
- setting up and maintaining the backend/server sofware (at
intevation.de?)
- checking in all known bugs into the system
- every developer maintaining the entries in the bug database etc.
- just more work for the bugfixing people that gets subtracted from the
available time.

I would propose the following:
unifing (simplifying?) of the bug report form on
http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/bugtracking/bugreport.html, the
script bug.report.sh from src/scripts/shells and other areas where this
is used;

add a menue to tcltkgrass for bug reporting (i can do that);

set up a mail alias ("grass-bugs@?????") where all bug mails are sent
to;

these mails should be archived somewhere where the developers can read
them and could be automatically forwarded to grass5. The report form
should be changed so that name and email can be anonymized (is this a
concern? i don't know.).

Perhaps we should make a distinction between "compiling bugs" and
"functionality bugs/module errors". One problem with the latter is that
information on the grass database is needed to inspect them.

cu,

Andreas

Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 04:52:54PM +0000, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 10:57:37AM -0500, Eric Mitchell wrote:
>
> > > If all you gain from going to sourceforge is a bug tracker,
>
> > .. therefore I was proposing "Issuezilla" (www.openoffice.org,
> > see " Bugs and Issues") which was developed on top of bugzilla.
> > Their intention at openoffice is to provide a system catching
> > improvement suggestions, too. I think that's a good idea.
> >
> > The only question is: Do we need that? Maybe yes. I feel we
> > need a "suggestions system" beside our current manually runung
> > bug-system.
>
> Well we are certainly willing to set a system up, if you feel like you
> need it.
>
> It will have some more overhead.
> I am not sure were the difference is between a bug tracking system with
> different types of bugs (which one type could be the suggestions)
> and an issue system. Actually most bug-tracking systems are usd for
> wishlists, also.
>
> Of course it would be beter if people used the mailinglists, so they
> can explain their wishes and bugs, if necessary.
>
> A better description on how to report a bug is always a way to improve,
> too.
>
>         Bernhard

Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange at GMX.net