[GRASS5] New MacOS X compilation errors

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Sun Nov 12 03:53:52 EST 2000

On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 11:08:32PM -0800, Jeshua Lacock wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Markus - I downloaded the CVS snapshot, thanks for making it available.
>
> First of all, the configure script cannot find my Tcl/Tk libraries -
> I compiled and tested them on my OS.  After fooling around for a
> couple hours I gave up on it.  My Tcl/Tk libraries are installed in
> /usr/local/
I face this problem on Solaris, too. Sorry, no idea. Could you
try the
configure --with-tcltk=/usr/local
?

> It looks like the configure script looks for Tcl/Tk 8.0.5 and not
> 8.0.5.a, so I tried adding the the .a to the logic - but no go. The
> script finds the X windows and open GL stuff fine.
>
> I install Tcl/Tk 8.0.5.a, should install a different version?
Maybe you could make a link from 8.0.5.a to 8.0.5 in the libs directory?

> The CVS snapshot seems to be missing some files that were are present
> in the beta 8 build.
>
> Mainly speaking the "sys/msg.h" file required source/libes/raster
Well, this is *not* a GRASS file (wans't there in the past):
It is a system file, on Linux you find it here:
/usr/include/sys/msg.h

I am not sure if it is required on MAC. You could
cd /usr/include/sys/
touch msg.h

to generate an empty file to trick GRASS. Due to library dependencies
the other stuff wasn't compiled.

> A little side note: with the build 8, I have been using ./configure
> -host apple-powerpc-nextstep3
Please note down this for a later FAQ entry!

> Note that ALL of the following modules worked fine in the beta 8
> build. Here is a look at the errors in the shell script for the first
> few modules (using the CVS snapshot):
>
> GRASS GIS compilation log
> -------------------------
> Start of compilation: Sat Nov 11 21:21:42 PST 2000
> Errors:
> Compilation error in module: src/libes/raster (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/libes/gis (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/libes/coorcnv (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/libes/vect32/georef (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/general/init (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/display/devices/CELL (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/display/devices/XDRIVER (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/display/devices/HTMLMAP (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/front.end (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/libes/dbmi/clients (ignored)
Please enter "gmake5" directly in these directories (after faking the
sys/msg.h) and send the further eventual errors to me.

> Compilation error in module: src/display/d.3d (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/display/d.area (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/display/d.ask (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/display/d............
Yes, due to missing libraries as not being compiled.

> etc....
> __________________
>
> Here are the errors in more detail copied from the terminal window:
>
> io.c:5: header file 'sys/msg.h' not found
> make[1]: *** [OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin1.2/io.o] Error 1
> GISGEN failure at STEP: src/libes/raster
O.k., see above.

> readsites_xyz.c:164: illegal expression, found `}'
> make[1]: *** [OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin1.2/readsites_xyz.o] Error 1
> GISGEN failure at STEP: src/libes/gis
This one is very strange (hi Eric!).

> cc:
> /Users/jeshua/grass/src/libes/LIB.powerpc-apple-darwin1.2/libgis.a:
> No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** [/usr/local/grass-5.0b/etc/set_data] Error 1
> GISGEN failure at STEP: src/general/init
.. these are the dependencies on libgis.a not yet built.

Keep us posted,

 Markus