[GRASS5] Jan's copyright notice ++

Frank Warmerdam warmerda at home.com
Fri Nov 10 14:17:15 EST 2000

Markus Neteler wrote:
> Justin, this is a very important concern! I agree that we could get
> many problems especially from code merging.
> There must be a cvs command to get the Log for a specific file (just
> can't find my CVS book). Like that we could read the log without
> putting it into the code. I would prefer the $Id$.

Justin / Markus, et al,

I am not sure what merge problems the documents referred to.  I haven't
ever encountered them, but then I don't make heavy use of merging branches
back into mainline code bases.  Are we intending to do this in GRASS?

I have used the $Log$ method in the two million lines of code I managed at PCI
with few ill effects.  There is indeed a commands to get old cvs log messages
out of CVS ("cvs log <filename>"); however, it isn't very convenient, and
people just getting tar files of source have no access to it.  It has been
my finding that I (and many other developers) will take a few seconds to
scan the last few log messages when a problem is encountered _if_ they are
at the top of the file and easy to scan.  This has helped me out quite a bit
over the last decade or so.

However, it isn't critical.

Best regards,