[GRASS5] MapCalc trade name

David D Gray ddgray at armadce.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 9 15:03:27 EST 2000

Hi Bruce, everyone

Just a few thoughts

"B. Byars" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have just gotten off the phone with the legal team.
> They are getting in contact with the PMap people
> to iron things out legally and officially.  One concern
> they have for us is that we retain the right to forever
> use the name mapcalc in GRASS.

The real problem is if in the future this new software becomes a widely
accepted application with its own proprietary formats, we might want to
have import/export filters. Then it would be confusing to have the same
name for different functions.

> One thing I need feedback from you guys asap is what
> do we see our mapcalc evolving into?

I consider this is not a useful question to canvas at this time. As a
mature and serious project, whatever evolution our raster scripting
capability takes, is determined by the problems arising out of its use
and the experience reported by users and developers. An `Inetellectual
Property' issue like this is not a reason for changing our agenda, or
committing to anything that otherwise wouldn't have been an issue. I'm
not aware that anyone has had any gripe with mapcalc's function and
purpose - perhaps as always bug and efficiency issues, and minor feature
issues. There is no foundation at all for any kind of decision on the
future of mapcalc at this time.

> Does it stay the
> same or change in capabilities?  We don't want to limit
> ourselves in the future.

Absolutely. But we just don't know at this point. No doubt we will have
considerably expanded features at some point for our raster scripting
tool (whatever we call it). It could be described however as a scripting
language for the processing of maps and automated generation of new maps
and isn't likely to step outside those bounds.

Regards

David