[GRASS5] flex/lex, compatibility

David D Gray ddgray at armadce.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 2 14:07:13 EST 2000

Andreas Lange wrote:

> Hi,
>
> can we make flex a requirement for compiling of GRASS5?
> The problem is now that some modules can be compiled with either flex or
> lex, but one module uses an option "%option lex-compat" which is not
> recognized by standard lex.
> Under Linux everything is fine, as flex is always installed, but with
> Solaris and IRIX some machines have a standard, old-fashioned lex
> installed.
> Alternatively we could change the module/lex file, but this would
> require some investigation on the side-effects.
>
> Do you have other ideas?

There are some other possible incompatibilities. Sometimes lex is used
standalone for reading config or ascii data files (see mif.l in new
v.in.mif module). This uses `exclusive start states' heavily which also
are said to be incompatible with some other lex variants. I think this
is less aproblem with newer versions of the various lex's but it might
still be good to standardise on one (flex).

Regards

David