[GRASS5] g.region, sites and other stuff [WAS: d.zoom / sites boundaries]

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Wed Nov 1 17:08:45 EST 2000

Dear Eric, dear developers,

please don't get me wrong, but i think we should rather concentrate on
fixing the modules than adding new library functions.
I think that the sites API has still some problems (at least i do get
problems reading my existing files).

I see problems with the sites head and stats info in the file if you use
the data with modules that support updating of this info and other
modules that do not. You'll never know if the info is correct, so there
is not much use to store it.

I can imagine other problems with the library functions i. e. if you
have very big files (i myself wrote a sites file with 130MB!), this will
hurt performance so much that the user will think the module does not
work.

But if you have the time and resources to implement all those changes in
time and check that it all works as supposed, i have no objections.

I agree on the field names, but i think that should wait until we start
with 5.1.

cu,

Andreas

Eric G . Miller wrote:

> (Re: bug in g.region for setting region from sites)
>
> I can confirm the bug.  I haven't looked at it.  On a related note, I
> think the Site_head could use some additions and some related library
> functions:
>
> Additions that could be very useful for Site_head:

..

Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange at GMX.net