[GRASS5] r.to.sites: change proposal for -a

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Mon Oct 30 09:12:54 EST 2000

On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 07:08:12PM -0700, Eric G . Miller wrote:
> The site list format spec. says FP cats are okay (though, I disagree
> with this notion).  It also says a cat is not required.  The tricky
> thing here is, if the raster is an INT type, then you really want to put
> the value in the cat since there is no INT attribute type in the sites
> spec.  Automatically putting it in a '%' (decimal) field will cause it
> to alway be interpreted as FP later.  On the flip side, some modules are
> not up to date with the current sites format (s.surf.rst is mentioned)
> and expect a certain format.  These modules should be updated so the
> user can specify what attribute to use (it's often relatively easy
> to add this functionality).
>
> As far as r.to.sites goes,  I'm favoring either writing a cat for CELL,
> or writing a '%' for FCELL.  I *really* don't like non-integer values
> for the cat.  It screws up conversion to vector which does not support
> FP cats (and really can't).
Hi Eric, hi all,

I agree to restrict sites "#cat" to INT only. For me it is a sort of
index (and additionally common INT values). To store FP in cat
field is somewhat inconsistent as we have the %double, too.

My proposal is to change the specifications to have it more restrict.
Then "type guessing" is not required any more as only INT would be
allowed for #cat field.

For r.to.sites we could insert a switch for CELL and FCELL to
suppprt #cat resp. %double. Then the "-a" would not be required any
more for r.to.sites.

Bill, could you live with that?
As far as I see this restriction would not break anything.

Kind regards

 Markus