[GRASS5] g.help key codes

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Tue Oct 24 05:46:25 EDT 2000

On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 12:31:16PM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Markus Neteler wrote:
>
> > thanks for this: I have found it on my Linux box.
> > But...
> > The strange thing is that the *working* keycodes are different
> > from any program output (I tried different than xkeycaps).
> >
> > PAGEUP    '\065'
> > PAGEDOWN  '\066'
> > ESC       '\033'
>
>   These are the octal codes '\O (Oh, not zero)..'. Hex would start '0x.. '.
Rich,

actually this is 0 (zero...). I copy-pasted the entries.

>   There's another program ... I think the name is 'xev' (for x event) that
> tells you everything ... yes, that's the name. When you run that from a
> virtual terminal, you'll see a small box pop up, and every cursor movement,
> mouse button press/release or key press/release will be shown on screen.
I have that but cannot reproduce even the PAGEUP/PAGEDOWN.

THe "showkey" also didn't help.
>   Click the mouse in the small box, then press the up-arrow and down-arrow
> keys (I assume that's what you meant by "lineup" and "linedown".
I have renamed that to ARROWUP and ARROWDOWN now.

>   Anyway, xev will show you the key code and scan code (plus a whole bunch
> more that makes no sense to me) for every key you press. That should help.
> At the least, it will give you hours of entertainment. :-)
The latter us true :-)

Well, no idea. Rich, if you manage to reproduce above codes for
PAGEUP/DOWN, we might derive the codes for ARROWUP/DOWN.

Markus