[GRASS5] suitability of GRASS

Brook Milligan brook at trillium.NMSU.Edu
Mon Oct 23 13:06:56 EDT 2000

I need to evaluate various GIS systems and, while I have had a bit of
experience with GRASS, I am not sure how it compares with other
popular systems.  I know at least some readers on this list are very
familiar with both GRASS and alternatives, so I am hoping you will be
able to help me.

As background, I will be constructing a system that will support a
variety of different analyses.  Most of the use will be by local staff
preparing data in the form needed by users (e.g., constructing data
layers and/or associated databases and exporting them in
user-specified formats); however, it is likely that some GIS
professionals will require direct access and even some GIS-naive users
will need training and direct access.  Additionally, it is almost
certain that the requirements will include capability of
interoperating in some manner (e.g., at least at the level of
importing and exporting data files) with Arc/Info.

Many of the people I will be describing this system to will not be
familiar with GRASS, but will have at least heard of Arc/Info, and
some will already be Arc/Info users.

In order to evaluate the options (which are likely to be mainly GRASS
versus Arc/Info but other suggestions are welcome), I'm hoping you can
provide discussion on the following points.

- Data interfacing:  how capable is GRASS at importing/exporting data
  sets?  How complex is the process?

- Cost: how do the long-term costs (e.g., programmer salary,
  licensing, maintenance, etc.) compare for GRASS and commercial
  systems?  I realize that there is no direct cost for GRASS software,
  but there is likely to be some software
  maintenance/porting/enhancement costs associated with any open
  source software.  I am interested in any experience that might
  provide insight into how this compares with commercial products
  which require licensing and maintence fees.

- Capability:  how do the capabilities of GRASS for data
  modelling/data layer construction/data layer analysis compare with
  commercial products?

- Flexibility/extensibility:  how extensible and flexible are the
  capabilities of GRASS compared with commercial products?

- Ease of use: what is the learning curve like for users of GRASS (or
  specific UIs/GUIs) compared with commercial products?  How much
  training would be required for someone with expertise in Arc/Info,
  for example, be able to make use of a GRASS system?  How much
  training would be required for GIS-naive users?

- Other insights:  I have probably not thought of all the relevant
  points of evaluation.  Any additional insight you can offer based on
  your experience would be useful.

Thank you very much for your help.

Cheers,
Brook

Brook G. Milligan                      Internet:  brook at nmsu.edu
Department of Biology
New Mexico State University            Telephone:  (505) 646-7980
Las Cruces, New Mexico  88003  U.S.A.  FAX:        (505) 646-5665