[GRASS5] proposal for a grass command interface description forautomatic GUI building

Tim Cera timcera at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 23 08:28:45 EDT 2000

Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> My main ideas for the way to go are
>
>         * GRASS programs can be asked for the parameter description
>         * parameter description is based on XML.

This is great!  I would add one additional criteria.  That the XML is
kept in a seperate file so that changes could be made to the interface
without re-compiling.  Something like
$GISBASE/task_description/r.basins.file.xml.  This would allow very
rapid language changes (German, French, ...etc.) and user customizations
- just replace/edit the XML files.

Any developed interface systems should use the --task_description (I
changed the internal "-" in your original message to an "_") instead of
the raw XML.  Maybe --interface_description, since a user will probably
never type it?  And then change the XML directory name to match.

take care
tim cera