[GRASS5] keep g.help ?

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Tue Oct 17 14:21:05 EDT 2000

Markus,

i recently discovered that the GRASS man pages/help system contain a lot
of information that is not included in the html-pages, e. g. "Glossary
of GIS Terms" etc.
I think that the organization of the help system (topic and task
oriented rather than sorted by module name) is a lot better than the
html-system.

For the GRASS/GIS beginner the html-pages are very confusing, because
one does not know how to find a certain functionality.

I can imagine a html-based help system that starts from the opening
screen in tcltkgrass. It should be possible to integrate html-output (or
xml) into tcltkgrass in a manner that allows to navigate the
documentation.

But all that would require someone who can update the contents and the
structure of the help system from roff to html.

So my conclusion is: Keep it for grass5.0stable as it is.
For grass5.1 we should discuss how this can be improved.

cu,

Andreas

Markus Neteler wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> as I am currently assembling the docs in html/html/ I
> found the g.help command. Currently it is quite outdated.
> Can we deprecate this module and it's related help pages?
> If not, we need something to generate the pages from the
> HTML pages.
>
> Regards
>
>  Markus

Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange at GMX.net