[GRASS5] Re: Code freeze

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Mon Oct 16 12:51:19 EDT 2000

David (hi all),

On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 04:24:28PM +0000, David D Gray wrote:
> Markus Neteler wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 04:07:05PM +0000, David D Gray wrote:
[...]

> > What do you think: How much time shall we spend on code freeze? Until
> > BUGS is empty? Or definitively release the stable End of October? Or
> > earlier?
> >  Markus
>
> Hi Markus
>
> Perhaps we should do what the Debian folks do: identify certain bugs as
> release-critical and then empty that list before release. maybe we take
> about a week to assemble such a list, and then publish it encouraging
> developers to concentrate on these bugs (a `bug-squash'), and wait till
> then to assess the probable time scale.

this sounds very reasonable. I propose that every developer checks
the BUGS file in CVS, update it and add
 - "release-critical" if so
 - optional add his/her name if wanting to fix it
 - remove already fixed bugs (any left?)
Hopefully we can finish updating this list until thursday?
Then I will sort the list into the two sections uncritical and
release-critical and publish it.
Then we go ahead for emptying the list.

Is that o.k. with all developers?

> On another point, I will be uploading the v.in.mif later today. It is
> working for point/line data (that I have), so there is something for
> people to look at, but still needs some work done. I also want to get
> v.in.shape tidied up before the release. How will the CVS branch after
> the freeze, I mean will there be a frozen branch for bugfix work to go
> on, and a devel branch for development to continue?
As a major code-reorganization is required for modularizing the sources
and adding the new auto-conf system I suggest to check-in a completely
new tree. Moving many directories in CVS using CVS commands will be a
pain. Therefore (I hope, Bernhard agrees) we should build a completely
new grass 5.1 source tree.

The branch freeze is our agreement. I think I cannot physically freeze
it to limit submissions to bugfixes. But the new tree shall be established
asap (after discussing it's final form, a draft is here:
documents/new_directory_structure.txt )

Hoping for getting out the stable release soon,

 Markus