[GRASS5] compiling problems on IRIX

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Tue Oct 10 23:01:52 EDT 2000

Hello Andreas

Andreas Lange wrote:
> i tried to compile the current CVS tree on IRIX 6.5 with the GNU c
> compiler on sunday.
>
> I had no luck because autoconf finds all libraries in /usr/lib and
> /usr/freeware/lib, but with the -n32 switch all binaries are build in
> n32 format, which has its libraries in /usr/lib32 and
> /usr/freeware/lib32. This affects mainly all modules that use ncurses,
> so that no usable installation is compiled.

This is strange. I checked out the entire CVS source tree on Monday and
compiled it with only a few problems using gcc on my SGI impact with
IRIX 6.5. The problems did not concern ncurses but the png and tiff
support since I do not have those libraries installed.

Are you actually running autoconf before configure? If so, you do not
need to do so. I simply compile with "configure" then "make install". In
fact, I don't even have autoconf installed. If you are not running
autoconf, then you can send me the output of configure and we can
compare it with my version, and possibly the resulting head file as
well.

> I am not familiar with autoconf so that i had no luck to make changes
> myself. What is the relation between the header files in
> src/CMD/head/os-specific and autoconf?

The last time I looked at this a while ago, it apparently has no
relation at all. There were settings in the os-specific file for SGI
that did not appear in the head file after configure was run. Therefore,
the file was obviously ignored by configure. I posted a message asking
if the os-specific files were necessary since it appeared that they were
not being used, but I didn't get much of a response.

By the way, how are you using the -n32 switch with gcc? When I try it I
get an unrecognized option error.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th