[GRASS5] Makefile target distclean non-standard

James Cameron quozl at us.netrek.org
Wed Oct 4 01:12:51 EDT 2000

G'day Justin,

Thanks for your summary.

You wrote:
> Unfortunately in Grass, we do not have this situation. The compiled
> files are stored under the $PREFIX directory which is usually not the
> same as the source directory [...].

Yes, I see.  This makes it difficult to divorce a source distribution
from a binary distribution under the usual packaging methodologies
used by open source software collections.  I hope it will change in
future, as it hinders the packaging process.  (I wish I could devote
time to fixing it).

> I didn't know whether there was a consensus on including them in the
> source tar files yet. The last I recall is that you wanted them
> excluded from the tar files, but Bernhard wanted them included.

Yes.  I now withdraw my objection.  They should be included in the
"make dist" generated tar.gz file.