[GRASS5] Proposal to deprecate

David D Gray ddgray at armadce.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 3 15:13:06 EDT 2000

Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> David,
> is it possible to maintain a conversion programm/script of some sort,
> which can only upgrade v3 format files to v5?

Bernhard

It would be v3 <-> v6 because if we announce dropping support for V3 dig
files now, it would not be implemented till at least v6, ie. 1 full
major release cycle. Meanwhile, v3 files are still processed
transparently. But yes, a module for conversion of any GRASS3 format
files would be developed so that existing data would still be
compatible.

The problem is that the design of the version portability code makes it
difficult to maintain portability across more than two versions
simultaneously.

So this is really just a policy decision at the moment and does not
require any action in the near future, but if we are to make this change
at some time in the future it is perhaps best to give notice through a
formal announcement of deprecation.

> I do not know much about who uses this, so I cannot tell if it can be
> removed.
>         Bernhard

No, I don't know either. I can only think that there might be legacy
databases that are in v3 format but may be accessed by more recent GRASS
releases.