[GRASS5] PERL guru wanted for g.html2man

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Thu Sep 28 04:39:22 EDT 2000

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 09:56:56AM +0700, Justin Hickey wrote:
> Justin Hickey wrote:
> >
> > Markus Neteler wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi again,
> > >
> > > it is planned to generate all man/ and cat/ pages from
> > > HTML (html/html/) and to remove the man+cat section from
> > > CVS. There is a script "g.html2man" slightly doing this
> > > job. But the quality is still poor as it does not
> > > detect <p> (but <P>) and other tags. The script is
> > > here:
> > >
> > > src/scripts/contrib/g.html2man/g.html2man
> > >
> > > written in PERL. Frank Warmerdam and me would be glad
> > > if a PERL wizard could look at it and correct such bugs
> > > (and probably implement missing standard tags).
> >
> > I won't claim to be a Perl guru :), but I'll take a look at it by next
> > week.
>
> Actually, I just took a quick look and it doesn't seem too difficult to
> understand. Markus, if you want, we can take this off list and if you
> are willing to tell me the problems you have, I can fix the script. For
> example, fixing the <p> problem is a simple change. But I would like to
> fix all known problems before committing the fixes to the CVS tree. What
> do you think?

Justin, that's really great (you are taking care already of so many
things!).
We can continue off-list to reduce traffic. Just to give you an idea:
All the html/html/ stuff shall be converted properly... I have implemented
once &nbsp; tag, but for me it is very time consuming (as not being PERL
experienced). Therefore I was asking.

What's missing:
 - small letter/caps letter support (as we can't force the HTML authors
   to use caps letters): probably a simple upper case conversion for tags
   would help
 - support of still unknown tags:
     - table support (Frank Warmerdam, could you send your wish to Justin?)
     - better <pre></pre> support
     - <br> should not be treated as <p>
     - other developers: further ideas?

I will have to convert some complex pages to see what's missing.

Yours

 Markus