[GRASS5] Ideas

Tim Cera timcera at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 26 08:25:11 EDT 2000

Justin Hickey wrote:

> Hi Tim
>
> Tim Cera wrote:
> > 1) Separation of the code from the interface.
>
> I have already started taking steps to do this. But my proposal will
> allow any interface to be used, including HTML. Basically when a grass
> program needs to print or input data, it does so through a generic
> function call. That function call checks which interface is being used
> and then calls the appropriate function in the interface code. If you
> want a specific interface, you only need to code the interface
> functions. You would not have to touch any Grass core functions.
>
> I am only doing a small part of this. As you say, it will take a lot of
> work to do all of grass. But at least I will provide a model that others
> can follow.

You are describing the internal workings to choose differently coded
interfaces.  What I proposed is that the interface is not in any
compiled code at all, anywhere.  The interface would be in text files
that the user can edit, and change the interface without re-compiling
the program or knowing any C.  In effect, the interface is written in an
interpreted display language.  HTML I think would be a good choice
because it is so common (though it doesn't have a table input type), but
a new language could be made up to suit, like what the sci (
http://linuxparts.com/software.html ) developer did.

take care
tim cera