[GRASS5] Thought on my CVS problem

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Wed Sep 20 04:34:09 EDT 2000

First of all, Frank

Thanks for your comments. It makes things clearer now, and I agree that
the files in the tarball should be created with "clean" versions of lex
and yacc.

Bernhard

Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 11:27:57AM +0700, Justin Hickey wrote:
> > Bernhard Reiter wrote:
>
> > First of all, I think there is a misunderstanding about the
> > configure script. I agree with you that the configure script should
> > stay in the CVS tree.
>
> Why? It can be generated by autoconf. :)
> But we might leave it in.

Ooops, for some reason I thought you had said to keep it. If we do get
rid of it, who should I talk to that can help me make the appropriate
change to effect the hardcoded changes I made to configure to get GRASS
to compile on an SGI? I couldn't find an appropriate section in
configure.in.

> The results of lex and yacc _should_ be platform independent.
> (Though you might need a library for flex, IIRC.).
> So if the make sees that there are files present it will not
> start flex or bison to create them and use the one already there.

I agree, but that did not happen on my machine. Perhaps the Gmakefiles
need to be tweaked, or maybe the time stamp of the generated C files
need to be ensured to be later than the lex or yacc source files. Maybe
once we remove these files from CVS, this will occur naturally when the
tarball is made.

So now, to summarize this discussion, it seems we agree to remove the
generated files from the CVS tree, which include the following

src/include/config.h
src/raster/r.binfer/gram.c
src/raster/r.binfer/lex.c
src/raster/r.combine/cmd/gis_lxcl.c
src/raster/r.combine/cmd/gis_pars.c
src/raster/r.combine/cmd/gis_pars.h
src/raster/r.combine/cmd/gis_pars.out
src/raster/r.mapcalc/polish/lex.yy.c
src/raster/r.mapcalc/polish/y.tab.c
src/raster/r.weight/inter/gis_lxcl.c
src/raster/r.weight/inter/gis_pars.c
src/raster/r.weight/inter/gis_pars.h
src/raster/r.weight/inter/gis_pars.out
src/scripts/shells/create_fifos.sh

As well as the man/cat*/ directories (adding their creation to
src/CMD/generic/GISGEN.sh) and man/utilities/man.version since they are
populated by the man/utilities/Nroff script.

What hasn't been finalized is whether the configure script should be
removed as well. Thus developers would need to have autoconf, flex, and
bison installed to compile GRASS.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me if we remove the configure script.
It at least would be consistant with removing all generated files, and
it would probably be good for me since I would need to learn autoconf
:).

So, unless somebody has objections to removing these files (including
configure) I will remove them next week (that should be enough time for
a response).

By the way, I know I need to install autoconf and m4, but do I also need
automake? Also, is there a quick and dirty way to get autoconf to
generate configure, or is it better to plug away at the documentation?

Thanks to everyone for their comments and clarifications. It really
helped me to understand these concepts.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th