[GRASS5] A request for control

John Huddleston jhudd at lamar.colostate.edu
Wed Sep 20 00:59:55 EDT 2000

Thank you Rich, I agree with you about the need for a
separation of stable and development versions.  CVS
facilitates this by allowing us to branch off for a new
development section.  Commits made to this branch do
NOT affect the main line or HEAD of the GRASS
system.  The use of branching is more a matter of training
and policy.

Second, Markus ( and I assume Bernhard ) are getting
mail messages each time any change is made to the system.
You may relax and feel confidant that if a contributor
has exceeded their comfort level, the user will be blocked
from using the write-only CVS.  I would hope that all
the work done to port GRASS to the NT platform has
benefited the system overall.  Over 1500 Gmakefiles
were hand edited to make the system conform to a standard.
and/or bring in the correct libraries.  The NT/2000 audience
is waiting for a GRASS release.  Your point is well
taken, GRASS is a tool that is working now and is a source
of income for most on the GRASS list.  On the other side of
the coin there could be more people who would fall into
this category if the Windows GUI worked.

Third, and a curious turn of events, ESRI's next release will
no longer support Avenue scripts and will not support shapefiles.
All the developers who have put time and money into developing
in these two areas will not have an upgrade path.  Grass5 can
be an avenue (no pun intended) to those who want an open
GIS.  The ideas that developers bring to this forum are partly
to enhance the product and partly a result of pressure brought
on them to employ emerging technologies.

Perhaps we can take a neutral stance on this, perhaps lock
down some core GRASS source directories, and leave open
areas for development.  However, I would still urge us to
think creatively.   To most of us this comes from an open
system that welcomes our work.

John Huddleston