[GRASS5] Thought on my CVS problem

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Sep 18 06:21:31 EDT 2000

Justin,

we just have to know which files are platform independant.
If they are not, we have to fix it.

I would suggest that someone bundling the source up,
has to create this files. We might want another makefile target
or script for this: Creating platform independant files for
configure, flex and bison results and cleaning up again.

We might fix a little tarballs with just these files generated
for developers to test from time to time on their installations.

Someone who is a developer using the CVS
does not necessarily need the files as I think that we can demand
from a developer that he/she gets the tools first.
So we can remove them from the CVS.

Originally I just wanted to point out that we need this files in
a tarball source distribution.

Addressing your other question:
Only if the source file changes (e.g. configure.in) a remake of
configure is needed. So if you have a tarball with the current configure
there is no need to regenerate it and make won't do it.

.cvsignore is a convinience list, it makes CVS completly ignore some
files or directories. It helps not to clutter up the display when doing
updates and releases. For imports where it is useful
you can also specify it as a parameter to CVS.
So as long as we have not removed the files as mentioned above
you can use .cvsignore or the -I option to not commit yours with CVS.

Regards,
	Bernhard