[GRASS5] Postgresql and Grass

Radim Blazek Radim.Blazek at dhv.cz
Fri Sep 15 06:58:32 EDT 2000

"Eric G . Miller" wrote:

> That said,  I've got some ideas about having it manage vector attribute
> data.  GRASS definitely needs a better solution for this.  I'm not sure
> we should tie it to any external product *exclusively*.  I think, better
> to add some native flat-file attribute type database handling directly
> in GRASS;

I think that this may be done also through new DBMI driver.

>then, tie in support for multiple external DBMSs (PostgreSQL,
> RIM, Informix, Oracle, etc...).  I think this is what the DBMI interface
> is all about, no?  Still, at a standalone level, GRASS needs to handle
> attribute tables, not just category/labels.

> While I'm at it... Think GRASS needs support for assigning colors to
> areas and lines based on category numbers or ranges.  This should work
> similar to r.colors.  Also, GRASS should be able to do selected subsets
> from vector coverages for use in analysis and display.  It's sort of
> like a v.reclass and r.mask which would transparently function with
> d.vect, or other vector query processing analyses.  Need to work out a
> protocol for making the selections, storing them on disk for later use,
> and then modifying the vect libraries to make use of this info.

We started to work on dig5.0 format with multi-category support (with
D. D Gray). I think that colors could be saved in reclassed files as
categories with some new number. For example link to database is in
category with number 1 (cat_num=1, cat=123) and to reclassed file is added
new category (cat_num=1, cat=123; cat_num=1001, cat=5) i.e. color number 5
from some color table or (cat=255000000) color is red.

Radim