[GRASS5] Digging for license problems

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Sep 11 03:30:13 EDT 2000

On Fri, Sep 08, 2000 at 11:37:18PM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> thank you for searching the code for license problems.
> We already had a discussion and it's time to go ahead
> for further changes!

Yeah, we have to ask all the authors first.

> Those not involved into the discussion december 1999 can
> peek at src.nonGPL/list_of_nonGPL_modules.txt

> Concering "Numerical Receipes in C": There was an exclusive
> grant to CERL for GRASS, as far as I know (it is cited somewhere
> in the code). So we might be allowed to use it under GPL
> as well
No, I do not think so.
(This is why I have put it under the "not much hope section".)

> A better suggestion for numerical algorithm
> is, as they are widely needed in GRASS:
>  - build in a GPL package
>  - probably like a "plugin" library

There are several implementations of these well known algorithms.
We should just take another implementation.

A math library is alway a good idea.
Maybe GRASS can adopt one.