[GRASS5] NVIZ and GLX: hardware openGL

Stephen C. Martin stephen.martin at verdian.com
Thu Apr 26 20:55:07 EDT 2001

Hello all,
I only subscribed to this list because I'm interested in tracking the development
of 5.0, but I *did* recently set up my nVidia GeForce2 in linux.

In short, the nVidia cards will not work correctly with MESA.  nVidia has their own
opengl drivers for linux and it's necessary to use them instead.  The nVidia site
has instructions but I found mandrakeuser.org to have better ones.  It's a matter
of making a couple of edits to the xconfig-4 file and redirecting the sym links to
point to the nvidia drivers rather than the mesas.  I was able to do it only a few
days after first installing linux so I'm sure you'll have no problems.

--
Stephen C. Martin

Manager, Digital Hydrography Programs
Veridian