[GRASS5] Driver Update

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Apr 24 14:12:41 EDT 2001

Markus Neteler wrote:

> just now I could reproduce a strange monitor behaviour (Eric,
> I told you about this). About once a month or so the monitor
> catches contents from a netscape window (Linux, KDE2).
>
> What I did: The GRASS monitor was open, the i.colors loading pictures.
> Meanwhile I was opening this URL in netscape:
> http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/phygeo/Links/geoinstitute.html
>
> When closing this window, the GRASS monitor got part of the
> netscape window contents, looking like this:
> http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/users/neteler/tmp/mon/
>  -> crazy_monitor.jpg
>
> This happened a few times in the past (since the socket suport is in),
> and on a colleagues Linux box as well.
>
> For me it's amazing that such things can happen :-) It doesn't
> disappear, even if I move the GRASS monitor around. The monitor is,
> of course, still working. Seems to be some backingstore problem.

Is the window using backing store ("xwininfo" should say")?

I was going to ask about disabling the use of backing store
altogether. XDRIVER already has a fall-back if backing store isn't
supported, i.e. it does all of its rendering into a Pixmap.

Making it do this all of the time would simplify the code, and
possibly improve reliability (the backing store code seems to be a bit
of a kludge; e.g. Panel_save() moves the window to be on screen, which
suggests that the code will have problems if the window isn't
completely visible). The only potential downside which I can see is
memory usage within the X server.