[GRASS5] Volunteer wanted for CELL driver color problem

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Wed Apr 18 11:11:50 EDT 2001

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 11:35:42AM -0300, Bob Covill wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just tried starting the CELL driver on my Linux machine and I still
> get the same error message ...
>
> Usage:  CELL [-] "input_fifo output_fifo"
> No socket to connect to for monitor <CELL>.
> Problem selecting CELL. Will try once more
> No socket to connect to for monitor <CELL>.
>
> It sounds like you are experiencing a different problem than I am. Do
> you have a special monitorcap entry fort the CELL driver?  I think the
> key to the above error is on the fist line, which sounds like the CELL
> driver is being called incorrectly?

Bob, your problem is clearly a CELL driver that is built with FIFO
support, while the rest of the display code is built with the socket
support.  You need to clean an rebuild the driver.  Hint: the changes
are actually in ../lib (if cwd ~ grass/src/display/devices/CELL).

Markus's problem with CELL driver is clearly two things.

1) The timing issue.  Both CELL and PNG seem to have longer start-up
   times than the X driver.  Leads to the "unable to connect" message.
   Subsequent "d.mon select=CELL" should succeed.

2) Then forgot to d.mon stop=CELL (the driver was still running *and*
   using the socket -- hence the message about it already being in use).

It's true that the drivers don't clean up their socket files at
shutdown, but they'll remove them at start-up at long at they aren't
already in use.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>