[GRASS5] which, less and SUBMITTING

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Thu Apr 12 04:35:58 EDT 2001

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 08:19:37PM +0200, Reinhard Brunzema wrote:
> Michel Wurtz schrieb:
> >

> > There is also a "whereis" command that can be used, or even the builtin
> > type command (in all bourne compatible shell).  They don't allways give
> > the same result, but type is IMHO a good solution too. Ex :
> >
> Markus pointed out, that even 'type' is not always available. And I
> don't know anything about 'whereis'. It can be used on my linux system,
> but what about the other supported platforms?

Unfortunately "whereis" is also not standardized :-((

CRAY:

t3e::151$ whereis echo
echo: /bin/echo /usr/man/cat1/echo.1

Linux:

whereis echo
echo: /bin/echo

Solaris:
whereis echo
echo: /usr/bin/echo /usr/ucb/echo /usr/man/man1/echo.1
/usr/man/man1b/echo.1b /usr/man/man1f/echo.1f /usr/man/man3x/echo.3x

It seems we need a script'ed solution. What about setting an
alias "GRASS_WHICH='...'" containing the script from Andreas (to be set in
etc/Init.sh). Maybe that's a solution?

Markus