[GRASS5] which, less and SUBMITTING

Michel Wurtz mw at teledetection.fr
Wed Apr 11 11:21:29 EDT 2001

Reinhard Brunzema wrote:

> as you told me, 'which' is not available on some systems. So I wrote a
> shell-script G_which, following the instructions in SUBMITTING, that can
> be used as a replacement for 'which' in most cases.

There is also a "whereis" command that can be used, or even the builtin
type command (in all bourne compatible shell).  They don't allways give
the same result, but type is IMHO a good solution too. Ex :

bash-2.03$ type echo
echo is a shell builtin
bash-2.03$ which echo
/bin/echo
bash-2.03$ whereis echo
echo: /bin/echo
bash-2.03$ type less
less is /usr/bin/less
bash-2.03$ less
Missing filename ("less --help" for help)
bash-2.03$ type less
less is hashed (/usr/bin/less)

--
Michel WURTZ - DIG - Maison de la télédétection
               500, rue J.F. Breton