[GRASS5] XDRIVER

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Tue Apr 10 11:01:30 EDT 2001

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 08:47:53AM +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Markus Neteler wrote:
>
> > > I'd like to suggest integrating the new XDRIVER code into the source
> > > tree.
> > >
> > > The current mechanism of having "configure" modify several files
> > > (which are under CVS control) suffers from a couple of problems:
> > >
> > > 1. Running "cvs diff" includes the differences between the *.new
> > > versions of the files and the CVS versions. This is a bit of a
> > > nuisance if you're doing general tidying (minor changes to many
> > > scattered files), where it's simpler to diff the whole tree than to
> > > figure out exactly which files need to be diff'd.
> > >
> > > 2. Anyone running "cvs commit" without thinking will overwrite the CVS
> > > versions (fifo?) with whichever version is in their build tree at the
> > > time (probably sockets).
> > >
> > > If I hadn't encountered (1) first, I probably would have encountered
> > > (2) instead.
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I agree with Glynn. Perhaps we only keep the fifo version in a
> > subdirectory along with the established mechanism to activate it
> > (Bernhard wants to keep fifos for old platforms) and put the
> > sockets version into the default place. I guess that 99% of users
> > want sockets.
>
> I wasn't necessarily suggesting removing/disabling anything. Rather,
> merging the alternate versions of each file into a single file, with
> feature-test macros selecting which version was actually used.
>
> OTOH, if only a small fraction of users will want something other than
> sockets, it may not be worth the effort.

There are some pretty substantial differences between the drivers.  Not
to mention the same would have to be done for the libraster, and the
driverlib used by CELL/HTMLMAP/PNG drivers.  Easier just to remove the
cvs versions of the files that get swapped during configure.  There's a
copy of each fifo/ipc/socket variant in a separate subdirectory, which
are the only copies that need to be maintained.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>