[GRASS5] Arrow keys and default pager

Andrea Aime aaime at comune.modena.it
Thu Apr 5 02:54:05 EDT 2001

Glynn Clements wrote:

> Andrea Aime wrote:
>
> > I'm using latest GRASS cvs, XFree 4.01 and KDE 2.1. Every time I start
> > GRASS in text mode I find problems with the user interface: arrow keys
> > are not interpreted the right way
>
> Define "right". Do you mean they aren't interpreted the way that the
> GNU "readline" library interprets them? If so, that's because GRASS
> doesn't use readline.
>
> > and I get strange characters on the screen (a couple of chars every
> > time I hit and arrow).
>
> Presumably [A (B/C/D) or OA (B/C/D), depending upon the terminal.
> These are the common escape sequences for the arrow keys, minus the
> actual escape character.

Yes, that's exactly what happens...

> > This is the only program to do that,
>
> I doubt that. What about "cat"? More likely, this is the only
> interactive terminal-based program which you use which does this (the
> rest use readline).
>
> > plain terminal emulators
>
> I take it that you mean a terminal emulator running a shell, e.g.
> "bash".

Yes, of course...

> > and other programs are working fine...
>
> By which you mean they do respond to the arrow keys in some way?

I mean that they respond as every text editor does in the Windows world,
so if I hit right arrow the cursor move one character to the right...
I wonder if there is anyone in the world that really expects to see
AB when he hits and arrow key :-) (just kidding)
Thank you for your help
Regards
Andrea Aime