[GRASS5] Arrow keys and default pager

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Apr 4 12:47:26 EDT 2001

Markus Neteler wrote:

> > I'm using latest GRASS cvs, XFree 4.01 and KDE 2.1. Every time I start
> > GRASS in text mode I find problems with the user interface: arrow keys
> > are not interpreted the right way and I get strange characters on the
> > screen (a couple of chars every time I hit and arrow). This is the only
> > program to do that, plain terminal emulators and other programs are
> > working fine... any idea on how to solve that?
>
> you are right, this should become fixed. The cursor stuff is in:
> src/libes/vask/
>  especially
> V_call.c
>
> Even g.help should be fixed, similar problem. I have tried a while,
> but don't know too much about the curses & friends.

Note: programs which provide line-editing don't generally implement it
themselves using curses; they generally use GNU readline.

Of course you could implement something directly with curses, but
unless the behaviour exactly matches readline's (allowing for specific
settings in ~/.inputrc), newbies will most likely moan about it "not
working right".