[GRASS5] Arrow keys and default pager

Reinhard Brunzema r.brunzema at web.de
Wed Apr 4 08:47:12 EDT 2001

"Eric G. Miller" schrieb:

> On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 10:43:26AM +0200, Reinhard Brunzema wrote:
> >
> > > Second issue: I see that the default pager for GRASS man pager is
> > > "more",
> > > but under linux the default pager is usually "less", much more powerful
> > > and easier to use. I'm getting tired of typing "export PAGER=less" every
> > > time I login in GRASS... couldn't it be a default option if "less" is
> > > available on the machine (at least under Linux)?
> >
> > Hallo,
> > I had the same thoughts a couple of days before. A possible solution
> > would be:
> >
> > Replacing the lines
> > ---
> >       # Set some environment variables if they are not set
> >       if [ ! "$PAGER" ] ; then
> >               PAGER=more
> >               export PAGER
> >       fi
> > ---
> > with
> > ---
> >       # Set some environment variables if they are not set
> >       if [ ! "$PAGER" ] ; then
> >               lesspath=`which less 2> /dev/null`
> >               if [ -x "$lesspath" ] ; then
> >                       PAGER=less
> >               else
> >                       PAGER=more
> >               fi
> >               export PAGER
> >       fi
>
> The "which" command is not Bourne Shell (unfortunately).  I've seen
> hacks to emulate it...

Something like:
---
		# Search for a wish program
		WISH=

		for i in `echo $PATH | sed 's/^:/.:/
    		    	    		    s/::/:.:/g
					    s/:$/:./
					    s/:/ /g'`
		do
	    	if [ -f $i/$GRASS_WISH ] ; then
    			WISH=$GRASS_WISH
			break
	    	fi
		done
---
(taken from Init.sh)
I don't understand, why assuming "sed" is available is better than
assuming "which" is available. Init.sh already uses several non-sh
commands (sed, awk, grep, whoami). Why not "which"?

Reinhard