[GRASS5] New USGS DEM data format

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Aug 1 19:42:04 EDT 2001

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   Second, and more importantly, they have changed the format of the
> elevation data within the DEM to "decimal meters" which I assume to be
> fractional meters. The elevations used to be only in integral feet or
> meters. So, on this basis, more accurate DEM data is a Good Thing. But, they
> changed the SDTS format to this, and ESRI's ARC/GIS-8 (and Maptitude-5.0)
> are the only software that can read and translate the new SDTS format.
> GeoComm, the only site at which these data are available, is an ESRI
> reseller. Well, leaving out the politics of this arrangement, leaves my
> question: can r.in.gdal handle the new format with the "decimal meter"
> elevations?
>
>   I've imported a DEM using r.in.gdal, and it didn't complain, but I've no
> idea what elevation values it has. Anyone know? Frank?

Follow up:

  I just ran r.out.ascii on the DEM. It has apparently rounded (or
truncated?) the elevations to integer values.

  May I put in a request that this be fixed now? I can't imagine that it
requires too much work to change an int to a float.

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
                 Making environmentally-responsible mining happen.