[GRASS5] CVS question

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Aug 9 09:59:43 EDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 09:32:11AM -0400, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Markus Neteler wrote:
>
> >Well,
> >
> >I have updated (hopefully improved) the GRASS-CVS page at:
> >
> >http://grass.itc.it/grasscvs.html
> >
> >There is a new page talking about GRASS tags and branches now:
> >http://grass.itc.it/grasscvstags.html
> >
> >(all on the mirrors tomorrow).
> >
> >Let me know ideas for further improvements and
> >language polishs if needed,
> >

> Markus,
>
> This page helps, but I am still confused.  First, I appologise for being
> somewhat
> CVS challenged.  While I use CVS alot, I generally avoid the more
> sophisticated
> aspects of branching, just making minimal use of tags.
>
> If I want to add a change that will make it into the next version of
> GRASS 5.0
> (GRASS 5.1 pre2?), what do I do?  Do I do the following?
>
>   cvs update -r release_grass500pre1_20_may_2001
>  apply my changes
>  cvs commit
>
> What will happen to changes checked in at the head?  I presume they will
> not make it into GRASS 5.0, but will they be incorporated into GRASS 5.1?
> How do we do work on the GRASS tree that we want to apply to GRASS
> 5.1 but not GRASS 5.0?
>
> Will there be 5.0.1 and similar feature improvement releases, or is 5.1 the
> only suitable place for non 5.0 features?

Well, at time we have

grass50/
grass51/

on CVS. The grass50/ splits into (outdated) experimental and the
release_branch. The experimental however contains an unused/ directory
with new code (this should go to grass51/not_yet_uploaded/).

The grass51/ contains the new vector stuff and a not_yet_uploaded/ directory
with new code. All new code should go here.

Means: For 5.1 we have a new directory without a branch as the entire
directories layout will be changed. We'll feed the grass51/ soon from
the grass50-release_branch. We loose the history for every file, but
we consider the modules included to be stable (at that point) and still
have the old (that time) grass50 directory.

Does this clarify it a bit?

At time we only work on grass50-release_branch. A later merge-back doesn't
make too much sense as a fresh startup in grass51/ is better.

Regards

 Markus