[GRASS5] WARNING: CVS broken

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri Aug 10 08:01:58 EDT 2001

Markus Neteler wrote:

> what is the current status of CVS? An update some minutes ago
> brought some file back. My latest change to r.fillnull from
> August 8th seems to be present, even the latest changes
> to html/
>
> Carefully I would say, the CVS is back o.k.

It isn't.

> What has happened here???

An example:

On 2001/04/29, I replaced d.rgb with a version which used RGB raster
operations (D_draw_raster_RGB), comprising:

	src/display/d.rgb/Gmakefile
	src/display/d.rgb/main.c

These files are still there, and src/display/d.rgb/CVS/Tag contains:

	Treleasebranch_11_april_2001_5_0_0

However, the most recent update adds the old version of d.rgb in
src/display/d.rgb/cmd, with src/display/d.rgb/cmd/CVS/Tag containing:

	Nreleasebranch_11_april_2001_5_0_0

Note: "T" indicates a branch tag, "N" indicates a non-branch tag.

AFAICT, any other files which had been removed from the release branch
have re-appeared in the latest version.

I haven't seen any cases where existing files have been replaced by
the wrong version, but the presence of additional files could still
interfere with the build process, e.g. adding subdirectories to any
directory whose Gmakefile uses $(MAKEALL), or adding header files
which conflict with header files occurring later in the include path.

As I mentioned earlier, use of -D allowed me to get a pre-snafu
version of the source tree, but there isn't much point in committing
anything while the problem remains.