[GRASS5] G_get_cat question

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Aug 13 06:18:51 EDT 2001

Hi all,

while we are trying to fix all exceptions for d.vect.labels,
we came across the problem that this new module (and also
some other like v.area) crash when an entry in
dig_cats/vectmap
is missing (unlabeled vector).

The cats are read through G_get_cats(), however, this function
seems not to properly return NULL or whatever if the
requested cat is not existing.

Somehow it works for v.out.shape, we tried similar with no avail.
As various modules are affected, we should eventually fix
the G_get_cats() which segfaults if the requested cat is not present
in dig_cats/vectmap.

You could simulate this: just remove a line in a dig_cats/<vectmap>
file and try v.area (click into the map, then the module crashes).

At time I don't know if/how to fix G_get_cats(), help would be welcome.

Thanks

 Markus