[GRASS5] Re: NVIZ crashes

pcpa at conectiva.com.br pcpa at conectiva.com.br
Tue Aug 14 23:43:00 EDT 2001

Cópia Helena <hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu>:

  Hi,

> "glx"?
>
> that is how I am running it here

  For the nvidia driver, don't load the dri module, NVidia has it's own
implementation of a kernel module. Just make sure that the glx module you
are loading in XFree86 is the NVidia version, not the XFree86 one. Make
also sure that only the NVidia versions of the /usr/lib/libGL*.so* files
are available.

  See http://dri.sourceforge.net/ for the list of dri open-source
supported cards.

> > > I finally got RedHat Linux 7.1 re-installed. To date I have had no
> > > problems with NVIZ. I have tried repeatedly opening and closing it
> with
> > > no problems.
> > >
> > > The motherboard is an older single processor (300 MHz Pentium II).
> The
> > > video card is a Matrox Milleneum G200.
> > >
> > > Helena -- do you know the make and model of the video card in your
> > > system?
>
> NVIDIA Quadro 2 Pro - except for the crashes, it is really great, the
> graphics
> has
> a "look and feel" of SGI, but everything is faster.
> the other crashing machine has NVIDIA GeForce
>

> > we have tested today for a while. The problem is DRI (direct
> rendering,
> > needed for openGL hardware acceleration). If DRI is disabled, NVIZ
> > works on Xfree4.0.3 (redhat 7.1) even when glx is active.
>
> I have had dri disabled all the time, so that is not a problem for me.
> We have also tried to run it on a single processor - it crashes too but
> at
> least
> it gives an error message.
> Bob, I put my Xconfig and log file from the crash at
> http://bathy.meas.ncsu.edu/grasswork/XF86Config-4
> http://bathy.meas.ncsu.edu/grasswork/XFree86.0.log

  Try changing the DefaultDepth to either 16 or 32.

> maybe you will see something obvious there that we are missing.
> I don't have any problems with rendering or any other NVIZ
> functionality.
> the crashes happen when the interface window is being opened or when I
> am closing it.
>
> thanks for looking at it,
>
> Helena
>
> > If DRI is enabled, the mesa-glxdemo programs run, but nviz crashes.
> > It is talking about a bad integer initialization (integer out of
> range).
> > No idea, how to debug this.
> >
> > On thursday I'll switch to Xfree4.1.0, which provides an improved
> DRI.
> > Eventually the problems will be solved then... if not, it is a NVIZ
> > problem (probably the TOGL).
> >
> > Bob, if you are willing to upgrade the TOGL1.0 to TOGL1.5,
> eventually
> > this will help as well? Of course I would test it here! Do you
> expect
> > side effects from such upgrade?
> >
> > Markus

Paulo