[GRASS5] [bug #875] (grass) v.reclass does nothing...

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Dec 20 06:17:43 EST 2001

Hi Alex,

On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 03:03:20AM -0800, Alex Shevlakov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it seems to me that v.reclass works as it is supposed
> to in your example:
>
> cat fields.recl | v.reclass fields out=fields.recl
> type=area
>
> here is the result query d.what.vect output:

[...]
> So actually there are only 2 categories in fields.recl

you are right! Thanks for the good news, it seems I was confused by
two facts

 - d.area colors according to the polygon number, not the category
   number
   Maybe we want a flag "-c" to color according to the categorry numbers
   and not to the polygon numbers?

 - v.reclass does not eliminate boundaries properly when two adjacent
   polygons are assigned to the same category, as you also say.

[...]
> Each polygon would be colored differently (even those
> having the same new category) in d.area.

Sorry for this, as I have implemented that flag in d.area
I should have known (oops :-)

So
 d.vect.labels fields.recl
runs well.

> You can try -d option with v.reclass and get fewer
> colors in the result map, but not two. This is what I
> think strange (bug?).

Yes, this is *really* a bug. "-d" also damages the topology
in the current implementation as open polygons occur.

> To get only two polygons in the result d.area, perhaps
> you'd better use v.extract with -d.

Yes - my intention was to test v.reclass.

Thanks for your hints,

 Markus