[GRASS5] Tutorial Chapter 5 (ch5a.ps) and SGI sockets

Mike Thomas miketh at brisbane.paradigmgeo.com
Wed Feb 28 20:24:47 EST 2001

Hi all.

I got bored with trying to get Grass working on Windows 98, and decided to
treat myself and build and run grass on an SGI Octane at work (with
sockets).

Very nice - it's fun to use Grass rather than trying to debug it! The
sockets seem to be working fine.

"Issues":

1. On startup it gives this self explanatory message, which I report only
because it asks me to:
50 miketh(1)@canetoad % ../grass/bin.mips-sgi-irix6.5/grass5 -tcltk
Starting GRASS ...
application-specific initialization failed: Can't find a usable init.tcl in
the following directories:
    /usr/local/lib/tcl7.6 /usr/local/lib/tcl7.6 /usr/tcl7.6/library
/usr/local/library
This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed properly.

Sorry your version of Tcl/Tk is 7.6 and is too old for GRASS.
GRASS requires a TCL/TK version of 8.0 or more.
Reverting back to text mode interface.
Please report this error to the Grass developers
Switching to text mode
Hit RETURN to continue...

2.  When doing the Chapter 5 of the Spearfish tutorial, r.reclass gives this
message:
Mapset <miketh> in Location <spearfish>
GRASS 5.0beta12 > r.reclass input=landuse.tmp output=landuse.landfill
title="Acceptable Landuse"
ERROR: landuse.tmp is a reclass of another map. Exiting.
       Use r.mapcalc to generate a copy of input map landuse.tmp to work
with
Mapset <miketh> in Location <spearfish>

How do I fix this and why does it happen?

Cheers

Mike Thomas.