[GRASS5] GRASS stable/exp branches

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Feb 28 03:57:33 EST 2001

Malcolm,

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 08:12:25PM -0400, Malcolm Blue wrote:
> I've been looking for information about how some of the other open
> source project manage the CVS branching / release cycle process.
> Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a lot of useful information for
> the current situation.

It is good to know that you are digging for some background
information. I know a lot of free software project and I am also
familiar with some of their cvs usage. It comes to the bottom line,
that: There is no perfect approach and cvs also has its problems.
(Though it still is the best working solution we have.)
And somebody has to feel responsible and keep everybody else in line.

> For now I think that we will have to rely on developers only submitting
> changes related to bug fixes which are on Markus's "RC" list.

This would be best, but I still think that we can approach a stable
release faster when we habe a release branch in addition to the
stable branch for 5.0.x.

This is a very special problem with grass development and the size
and the history of the project.

	Bernhard
The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)