[GRASS5] Re: v.digit problems

Huidae Cho hdcho at geni.cemtlo.com
Thu Feb 22 21:49:25 EST 2001

From: Markus Neteler <neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de>
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 12:25:18PM -0400, Bob Covill wrote:
> > Markus Neteler wrote:
> >
> > > Bob,
> > >

> > > Huidae has implemented them to improve the usage of v.digit (my wish).
> > > It's related to zoom/pan. Now you can zoom/pan while digitizing without
> > > stopping to digitize. At least here it works quite nice.
> > > Probably the GRASS_PAN_THRESHOLD is too high (I think the deafault should
> > > be less) so that the background image moves too quickly away if reaching the
> > > borders of the current map region.

> > > curses are used in g.help as well.
> > >

> > > Markus
> >
> > Markus,
> >
> > I have checked g.help and it seems to work fine.
> >
> > The problems with v.digit seem to only relate to the digitize menu and the pan
> > menu. Other  zoom functions, etc, still seem to work fine.
> >
> > When I activate digitize (space-bar) the Begin Digitize menu begins flashing. It
> > is only the menu button options that are flashing, as if the cursor is cycling
> > throught the menu.  The effect is not as dramatic with the pan menu, but cursors
> > can be seen flashing at the left and right side of the menu.
> >
> > Any ideas would be appreciated.
> Bob,
>
> yes, that's a result due to the new pan method (Huidae will know more).
> On fast machines (or accelerated video cards), you are not aware of
> this. However, on a slower machine it might become annoying. I guess
> it can be switched of with an env variable (flag).
>
> All GRASS variables are listed in
> documents/envVars.txt
>
> (thanks to Justin). We should add explanations to the list and eliminate
> the unused vars there.
>
> The file with above definition of the menu flicker is here (I think so):
> src/mapdev/v.digit/slid_window.c
> and/or: window.c
>
> I suggest to make the auto-pan method optional in a v.digit menu and/or
> to be set with GRASS_AUTO_PAN=0/1

Hi Bob, Markus,

There is no such GRASS_AUTO_PAN env variable. Only GRASS_PAN_THRESHOLD
affects v.digit behaviour. However, it's strange. this env var is only
active in PANNING mode and menu is flashing to redraw menu.

"Begin Digitizing?" menu should not be flashing. Bob, you said
"The effect is not as dramatic with the pan menu..." Yes, pan menu also
flashes, but "Begin Digitizing?" menu should not flash at all.

So, it's another problem. New panning method does not affect any other
menu display. And you can turn off auto panning by setting
GRASS_PAN_THRESHOLD=0, then even PAN menu won't flash any more.

Regards,
Huidae Cho