[GRASS5] v.digit problems

Bob Covill bcovill at tekmap.ns.ca
Thu Feb 22 08:20:43 EST 2001

"Eric G. Miller" wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 08:42:26PM -0400, Bob Covill wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have been using v.digit under with my latest build on Solaris. I am
> > using v.digit with no digitizer (none) and the new osckets monitor.
> >
> > Everything starts fine and seems to work. The first problem that I
> > have is the "Begin digitizing" menu flashes until it receives input
> > from the monitor.
> >
> > After doing some digititizing and saving some segments I am suddenely
> > unable to save any work. I will digitize a line, select "Quit" to stop
> > digitizing and I am not prompted to save the line. Instead I am dumped
> > back to the digitizer menu without the work saved.
> >
> > Is this a digitizer problem (v.digit) or is it possibly related to the
> > new sockets window? I am using beta11 downloaded from CVS late last
> > week.
>
> Hmmm.  I don't see such things here (but that doesn't mean anything).
> I have made some changes to the XDRIVER to try to handle Xevents better,
> but it sounds like your having problems with the menu/curses part of
> v.digit (maybe I misunderstand?). I wouldn't think the sockets code
> would have too much effect on how v.digit itself behaves.  If the
> problems are in the display monitor, then maybe so...
>
> Perhaps this is related to curses problems others have mentioned.  Are
> you using libncurses5.x, or some native curses implementation.  I
> understand there's not alot of consistency between the various
> implementations.
>
> I'm also, not sure what changes of the XDRIVER implementation you've
> picked up (I've made a few in the last week or so).  One way to test,
> would be to recompile with FIFOs or IPC and see if that makes a
> difference.  I suspect it won't.
>
> Have you used v.digit in the past with your current set-up? And did it
> work okay then?
>
> --
> Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>

Eric,

I suspect you are right about it being related to the curses and not the monitor.
I have used v.digit alot in the past on the Sun with no problems. This version
seems to have changed a bit from previous versions I have used. The changes seem
to be the mouse menu options changed around. I do not know when these changes
were implemented.

If it is a cursres problem would it show up in other menus? If so which ones?

I know you are probably sick of answering this question, but ... what is easiest
way to re-build the distribution with IPC or the old fifo's (but not have to
rebuild the entire distribution)?

Thanks for your help.
--
Bob Covill