[GRASS5] What happened?

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Fri Feb 16 04:18:11 EST 2001

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 08:23:41PM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   Whatever happened to the feature freeze that was supposed to take place
> last December?
>
>   Why can't we have a 5.0 stable release and put off everyone's favorite
> tweak until later?

 Rich,

as you will have seen from the list we had to eliminate the LZW compression
(Eric did this job). This was an sensitive change which needed to be tested.
Therefore beta11...

If we find out that the new compression method is stable on any platform,
we can go for the stable. Meanwhile, while the users are trying beta11,
why not fixing other bugs?

We all want to get out the stable asap, but we have already some bad
experience with publishing too early (see beta9, see beta11 linux bins).
It would be bad publicity for GRASS to publish a "stable" version which
contains severe bugs.

We do our very best,

 Markus