[GRASS5] [aaime@libero.it: [GRASS-bugs] vector files: topologyrulesbroken]

David D Gray ddgray at armadce.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 15 14:30:43 EST 2001

Andrea Aime wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> in fact I read only after submitting bug that v.spag detects
> line crossings, but... if I use v.spag over a vector file
> containing only two lines crossing I end up with a new vector
> file with lots of lines and nodes (much more than 4 lines and
> 5 nodes that I expected). I was still using grass5beta8, if
> that bug has already been corrected, I apologize... I'm
> downloading beta11, tomorrow I will made another try.
> Bye
> Andrea

Hi Andrea

I have noted before that v.spag likes the lines to cross in a
well-behaved manner. If lines run over one another, they are not split
or are not processed correctly, or the module bombs out. ie, if you
have:

X------------X------------------------X
X-------------------------------------X

where the lines are supposed to be co-incident, you get:

X--X-X---X-X

and so on, or other errors.

I suspect that these problems come mostly from importing
double-digitised data, but it is certainly a problem if you are getting
duplicate lines from manual digitising.

I've sometimes found it helps a bit to run v.spag -i first (to do just
an identical lines check) then run the full check (without the -i
option). But v.spag -i cannot clean the example above, because tho'
these lines are co-incident, they are not identical. (Also this would
have to be re-run on the original)

We are planning for the future of vector processing that vector data
will be loaded up to a network structure before any kind of processing
is done. That will enforce a guarentee that all lines will be single,
and not run over each other (v.in.shape already uses such a structure).

Regards

David

PS. I've just checked v.spag on a `well-behaved' spaghetti map. It
splits OK, but doesn't label the newly created segments automatically. I
think we need some idea of a composite line to be built in dig_plus, a
bit like areas are composed from area edges and a point locator, but for
linear features..?