[GRASS5] New socket code report

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Tue Feb 13 10:17:25 EST 2001

Hi Eric,

great work! You have been setting up the sockets *very* quickly.

o Now all annoying messages are gone on Linux.
  Thanks for adding the d.mon hint.
o Solaris2.6/SUN: seems to work well with sockets (even remotely)

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 10:46:32PM -0800, Eric G . Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 11:07:56AM +0700, Justin Hickey wrote:
> Good to hear it's working on SGI, now only 10e23 platforms to go... ;)
>
> > The only problems I saw (2 of them) concern interaction with tcltkgrass.
> > They are probably related since they deal with stopping the monitors. If
> > you choose to stop a monitor in tcltkgrass, or choose the "stop all x
> > monitors" option when you quit, it seems that Grass kills the monitors
> > (after stopping x0 I can start x0 again), but the actual windows remain
> > on the screen. Starting another x0 opens a new window, giving two
> > windows labeled x0. Of course, only one of them accepts graphics
> > commands. Note that this effect does not happen if I use the d.mon
> > command from the Grass shell, only with tcltkgrass. I'm not sure what's
> > happening with that one.
>
> Weird.  I hardly ever use TclTkGrass, so I haven't even checked. I don't
> know what it does to close all the monitors; I assumed it would just
> shell out a "d.mon stop=x<n>" for each monitor.  I dunno?

Yes, this is what I understand from gui.tcl, line 1242 ff.
However, it doesn't work. Does anyone see the problem here?

> > Anyway, thanks again for the great work. I think we should make sockets
> > the default process communication mechanism since it eliminates the
> > createfifos.sh script.
>
> Well, that would be my position ;)  Of course, I'm biased...
I agree as well. Currently the favourite CRAY is compiling, what
about FreeBSD/MacOSX/WindowsCygnus?

Thanks for this important improvement,

 Markus