[GRASS5] Re: An internal db for GRASS

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Feb 10 15:49:29 EST 2001

On Sat, 10 Feb 2001, Eric G . Miller wrote:

> Problem is, it treats everything as Cartesian coordinates, which is
> wrong for lat/long calculations.  There's also no enforcement of
> important things like making sure polylines or polygons don't intersect
> themselves (i.e. should be split at a node).  Furthermore, there's no
> conception of islands/holes for polygons.

Eric,

  Other than that I work only with projected data, not lat/lon, I'm glad
that you helped shed some light on the darkness of my ignorance.

> Difference between PostgreSQL and Berkeley DB are huge.  Ones a client
> server database management system, the other is a library with some
> functions for managing DB files that treats all user data except keys
> opaquely.  I'm a little worried about using Berkeley DB because, I
> understand, the files it creates are machine specific (i.e. not portable).

  I just got rid of a C library for flat-file databases. I don't know if I
still have the code or not, let me go look ...
.. nope, looks like it's gone.

  We still have the spatial object issue, don't we?

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
              Making environmentally-responsible mining happen. (SM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com