[GRASS5] G_sock_*, XDRIVER, and other fun...

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Sat Feb 10 01:25:17 EST 2001

I'm getting close to having a set-up for using socket communications for
display drivers.  I've got it working here, but I haven't uploaded all
the necessary changes yet (d.mon has a few...).  Also, I want to be sure
the G_sock library functions don't cause any breakage before continuing.

Anyway, one thing I'm worried about is the path name length restriction
for local sockets.  I understand it maxes out at 104 or 108, depending
on platform.  While that's pretty long, I can see it happening.  If that
barrier is hit, then the socket driver breaks.  I'd like to stay away
from using /tmp (which is what things like X, ssh, GNOME, and others use
for unix socket files).

Proposed Solution:  Create a $HOME/.grass5 directory, with some shallow
subdirectories like "com" for communications, maybe move tempfiles here?
Such a directory should be chmod 700 to keep out snoopers and for a
small modicum of security.  Anyway, anyone have any thoughts?  (We could
move $HOME/.grass5rc to $HOME/.grass5/grass5rc too???).

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>