[GRASS5] Re: An internal db for GRASS

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Thu Feb 8 11:04:04 EST 2001

Hi Andrea,
Hi developers,

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 09:54:21AM +0100, Andrea Aime wrote:
> Hi Markus,
> I have surfed for a while yesterday searching for an internal
> dbms for GRASS... results are not much exciting:
> * dbf creation and reading is built in shapelib library, which
>   is already used in GRASS... but I don't see any indexing
>   features to speed up queries, it seems there is only sequential
>   access;
> * gdbm, which can be found at http://www.gnu.org/software/gdbm/gdbm.html
>   seems to be a library to build small databases with indexing, but
>   it has not been developed for a long time (it seems a dead project);
> * as you already said, Berkley DB is not open source, but I see that
>   it has been used in GNOME and in MYSQL, which are open source
>   projects.
>   Their license allows to use Berkley DB in an open source project
>   without fees, and it's fast and full featured. But I was wondering if
>   it can be redistriuited with grassio library, which will be LGPL to
>   allow
>   commercial products to access GRASS data (I mean, you can look at it
>   as an attempt to use Berkley db from a commercial product without
>   having to pay for a license...)
>
> I've taken a look at grass51 proposal... sounds good, and I'm waiting
> to see more.
>
> Bye
> Andrea

Thanks for searching the web! I put this onto grass5 list for the
others.

Concerning Berkley DB: I just have seen that it is used in "openoffice"
as well now (led by SUN:
http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/build_614/release_notes_614.html
).

Although the license of Berkley DB is non-GPL, it seems to be usable in
several GPL'ed projects. Perhaps our license experts here can give a
recommendation on this? We definitly need something "handy" for 5.1.

Regards

 Markus