[GRASS5] GRASS and ESRI: ASCII format

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Wed Feb 7 11:40:02 EST 2001

Bob,

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 11:57:10AM -0400, Bob Covill wrote:
> Markus,
>
> I am not familiar with the ESRI ASCII grid. But, once you figure out the
> correct registration (grid or pixel) maybe the r.in.ascii module could
> be expanded to include this format. If this is possible then maybe the
> r.in.arc program could also be included.
>
> If you think this is a reasonable approach then I could take a crack at
> it when I get a chance.

well, what I really need:

A tool which detects from common GIS file the settings (north, south,
east, west, rows, cols, res, proj, zone, datum,...). It should
simply print out these values.

Then I could run my "build_location.sh" script and that's it.

Probably I am just re-inventing the wheel and GDAL could be easily
used for the purpose to have such a small stand-alone program. As I want to
generate a location, this must be run outside of GRASS.
If working well, it can become part of the future entrance screen
which will have the functionality to generate locations from a dataset.

Markus