[GRASS5] Re-release of beta11

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Wed Feb 7 01:51:19 EST 2001

Hi Markus

Markus Neteler wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> due to the still existing GISBASE/dev bug I have to re-release

Actually, it was fixed on Monday in version 1.77 of Makefile.in, but of
course that was too late for the beta11 tag.

> We need more either more discipline when submitting changes or
> lock the CVS completely during the test phase to avoid such problems.

I agree that we need to keep new code out of the sources until a release
is announced once we enter the pre-test phase. Demanding more discipline
from developers (that is, we do not commit changes unless they fix a bug
discovered by a pre-tester) is one thing we can do. However, it probably
won't catch all problems since somebody is bound to forget. Locking the
CVS tree completely is not a good option since fixes for bugs discovered
by the pre-testers can't be fixed easily.

The only other option I know of is that once we decide to send the code
to the pre-testers, we create a branch of the CVS tree and developers
can only commit fixes for bugs found by pre-testers to the branch. Then
once the release is established and announced, we merge the branch back
in. I'm not sure if this is feasible, but it seems to be the ideal
solution to me. What do people think?

Also, do we have a step by step procedure for our pre-testers? If not,
then how about something like

For the source code
o Download and unpack new distribution in a new directory
o Run configure
o Run make
o Run make install
o Check if Grass runs (does "make check" work?) - maybe better to have
  this before "Run make install"
o Run make uninstall
o Run make distclean

For the binary distributions
o Download and unpack new distribution in a new directory
o Run grass5install.sh
o Check if Grass runs (maybe use testgrass.sh or some script created
  from the testsuite directory)
o Run grass5uninstall (new feature in CVS tree, not in beta 11)

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th